This tutorial shows you how to upgrade your existing Ubuntu 18.04 / 19.10 installation to the 2020 April’s latest stable release: Ubuntu 20.04 LTS Focal Fossa.
Steps to Upgrade
(01) Update and upgrade the currently-installed distribution and its packages.
$ sudo apt update $ sudo apt upgrade $ sudo apt dist-upgrade
(02) Remove all no-longer-required packages.
$ sudo apt autoremove
$ sudo apt install update-manager-core
/etc/update-manager/release-upgrades file and make sure
Prompt is set to
$ sudo nano /etc/update-manager/release-upgrades // check for `Prompt=lts`
(05) Run the Ubuntu upgrade process.
$ sudo do-release-upgrade
If you get
No new release found message, add
-d to the above command to force the upgrade.
$ sudo do-release-upgrade -d
(06) Reboot the system for the changes to take effect.
$ sudo reboot now
(07) Verify the upgraded Ubuntu version.
$ lsb_release -a
No LSB modules are available. Distributor ID: Ubuntu Description: Ubuntu Focal Fossa Release: 20.04 Codename: focal